Tuesday, April 15, 2014

15th April 2014


Loop the Lake finish line, March 2014. And no, we didn't ride the 85 km around the lake! Jenny and I did the 16km route, whilst Ken and the kids joined in at Warner's Bay. For those of you who read this blog and don't live locally, Loop the Lake is an event organised by the Rotary Club of Warner's Bay, raising money for the John Hunter Children's Hospital. A great hospital, but a place we have spent too much time in!

Aside from the smiling faces this picture shows, to me this picture also represents the restoration of our family. A picture of our family now being able to get out into the community, participating in an event as a whole family.

It is 6 months since Victoria finished treatment and it feels like our lives are only just beginning to open up again, moving out of survival mode. Each child now has an out-of-school activity that they are enjoying, gaining skill and confidence in. Whilst Victoria was on treatment we ceased most activities due to the physical logistics and emotional strength and organisation required to get 4 children to where they needed to be with the equipment they needed. 

I praise God for this time of restoration. Emotional restoration within each member of our family. Relational restoration between each member of our family. God has been so faithful in showering us with love and grace throughout this journey. Psalm 63:1-8 provides a reflection on moving from surviving to fully living.

O GOD You are my God, earnestly will I seek You; my inner self thirsts for You, my flesh longs and is faint for You, in a dry and weary land where no water is, so I have looked upon You in the sanctuary to see Your power and Your glory. 

Because Your loving-kindness is better than life, my lips shall praise You. So will I bless You while I live; I will lift up my hands in Your name. My whole being shall be satisfied as with marrow and fatness; and my mouth shall praise You with joyful lips when I remember You upon my bed and meditate on You in the night watches. For You have been my help, and in the shadow of Your wings will I rejoice.

Whilst Victoria is not having treatment, there continues to be hospital visits for physiotherapy and occupational therapy. During last few appointments we have been told of more physical impacts that are likely to provide significant challenges for Victoria as she grows.  Without going into too much detail, (Victoria herself is not fully aware of this news) this has been very distressing news to receive. 

The day after one of these appointments, when I finally had time to sit with God and process what we had been told, I started to write in my prayer journal. And guess what the scripture in the journal was on that very page that I was writing on .... amidst the tears, this is what I read... But Jesus looked at them and said, With men this is impossible, but all things are possible with God. Matthew 19:26 I read this scripture out aloud, over and over, replacing the words I had heard at the hospital, with the truth of God's word. More tears came through out the day, many fell on the helpful shoulder of a friend! However by the end of the day, God's truth was firmly in my heart, and a smile back on my face.

So coming back to the theme of restoration, we want to see full restoration of Victoria's physical body. Please stand with us as we claim full healing over Victoria's body ... Acts 3:16 states exactly what we want to see .... And His name, through and by faith in His name has made Victoria whom you see and recognize well and strong. [Yes] the faith which is through and by Him [Jesus] has given Victoria this perfect soundness [of body] before all of you.

Being Easter this week, if you want to read more about what was happening in Acts chapter 3 and the healing and restoring power of Jesus, click on this link to my Wendy A God Girl blog. This time of restoration is allowing me to update this blog more regularly now, at least twice a week. If you want to know when I have put up a new post on the God Girl blog, write your email address in the 'Follow by email' box on the right hand side of the screen. You will get an automated email notification when an update is published.

Victoria's next scan is 6th May. Victoria is going to attempt to have the MRI without having a general anesthetic. Please pray that she will be calm and able to stay completely still for the 20 minutes required to do the brain scan. And of course, please pray that the scan will show good results.

Many thanks again for standing with us in prayer and encouraging us along the way. Happy Easter.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi there beautiful family......Glad to hear about your latest adventures, it sounds like a lot of fun and a good cause to boot.....Will pray for the scan......
Love Auntie Michelle.....

Crinau said...

Wow brave girl Victoria not having the general. Love Corinne