Monday, October 31, 2016

I want to be an Olympian

Victoria turned 9 a couple of weeks ago.
What a walking testimony of God's grace. 
In this photo she is trying on a 'birthday hat'. 
What a different picture to four years ago.


Although the smile is still the same!

How wonderful it has been to have the blessing of six months between scans. I cannot begin to describe how that increased time has been for our family, other than to say we feel almost like a 'normal' family. 

Since my last blog update in early July, there has been a lot going on. All three girls organised their own Dine at Mine fundraising events. Charlotte's was a breakfast.


 Victoria had a BBQ Lunch.


Alexandra had a morning tea. Together they raised over $700. A big thank you to their friends who came and made generous donations, supporting Camp Quality. 

Our family continues to enjoy, and be very grateful for the  support of Camp Quality. Just the other week we participated in a family Fun Day,  and we definitely had fun.


Victoria continues to enjoy the athletics and swimming competitions. Over the past few months she has been to three school athletic competitions in Sydney.  Always with a faithful group of supporters ....

My sister and mother (who just happened in to be in Sydney on this day), supporting Victoria at the Christians Schools State Athletics competition. 
Ken's Mum, Aunt and a friend (who is pretty much an Aunt now!) - each at least 80 years old, supported Victoria at both the Combined Independent Schools State competition and the All Primary Schools State competition. 
 

Victoria won a bronze medal in both the 100m and 200m at the CIS competition. Here is a link to the 200m race. I apologize in advance for my enthusiastic cheering - but I am the mother, and I know first hand what it has taken for Victoria to get to this place. It is a really cheering her on in life, not just this running race. I am getting a bit teary now after just watching that race again.


A week ago, Victoria swam her first 50m freestyle race at the NSW multi-class championships. She won a silver medal for her classification. Charlotte came down to Sydney for the day to help support and encourage Victoria. What a blessing Marshall, Charlotte and Alexandra are to Victoria, and what compassion and understanding God is growing in them. Not only as they watch their sister live her life, but as they see other children who are overcoming the challenges in their lives.

These sporting events have all served as a very welcome distraction as our period of six months until the next scan, comes to an end. Victoria's scan is on 8th November and we will get the results on 10th November. Last week she started to talk about it, about feeling nervous wondering what the results will be. The sore tummy has come back. This morning I had a 'kitchen meeting' with Marshall, Charlotte and Alexandra, doing my best to explain to them what Victoria is going through and asking them to be gracious if she over-reacts to the normal sibling banter. How do you explain that to a six year old? Praying once more that God's grace will be sufficient in all of our lives.

But He said to me, My grace (My favour and loving-kindness and mercy) is enough for you [sufficient against any danger and enables you to bear trouble manfully]; for my strength and power are made perfect (fulfilled and complete) and show themselves most effective in [your] weakness. Therefore I will all the more gladly glory in my weaknesses and infirmities, that the strength and power of Christ (the Messiah) may rest (yes, may pitch a tent over and dwell) upon me! 2 Corinthians 12:9 AMP

There is a beautiful worship song - Find me at the feet of Jesus - by Christy Nockels.  And that is exactly where I will be spending a lot of time during this next 10 days.

As I have mentioned in previous blogs God has been doing a gradual restoration in our family over the past three years, since Victoria stopped chemotherapy.  Over the past couple of months one of the things God has been restoring to me personally has been laughter. Since early September there have been three occasions where I have laughed like I haven't laughed for years - to the point of tears (happy tears) and tummy ache ( a good tummy ache) - a dinner with some friends who have journeyed with us closely over the past six years, our church womens' retreat which I just attended, and in my cousin's butchery. The last place may sound a little strange - but picture this - we had the blessing of using the Harry's House Mobile Home again in September and went visiting my relatives in country NSW.  We visited my cousin's butchery in a small country town. He asked us if the children wanted a tour. Of course they did. Into the freezer room we went. And what squeals of laughter when the children saw ...

... a pigs bottom. And it wasn't a short time of laughter, it continued on and on and on and on and on.

To everything there is a season, and a time for every matter or purpose under heaven .... a time to kill and a time to heal, a time to break down and a time to build up, a time to weep and a time to laugh, a time to mourn and a time to dance.
Ecclesiastes 3:1,3,4 AMP
 
I praise God that I am in a season of laughing. But I am well aware that many are in a season of healing, weeping and mourning. I felt prompted a few months ago by the Holy Spirit to start another blog called - Requiring His Presence It is for people in those seasons, who do not have the energy to pick up their bible, who are exhausted by the crisis they are currently in. It has a simple daily post with a word of encouragement, one or two scriptures and a link to a worship song. My pray is that reading the words, scripture and listening to the song will encourage you to keep seeking God's presence despite the circumstances.

Thank you for continuing to stand with us in believing for full healing and physical restoration in Victoria's life. After the Olympics had finished, Victoria said, 'I know I can be a para-Olympian, but I want to be an Olympian.' And I believe by Jesus healing power she can be.

Now to Him who is able to exceedingly abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that works in us, to Him be glory in the church by Christ Jesus to all generations, forever and ever. Amen. Ephesians 3:20-21 NKJV
 
 


 

No comments: