Sunday, June 9, 2013

9th June 2013


It was all go, go, go, this week as Victoria returned to full health. On Monday she had a half day of gymnastics at school. I spent the first half hour of the session crying as I watched Victoria do her best in running relay races. Victoria's teacher so lovingly adjusting the activities Victoria had to do so she could keep up with the rest of the class.
 
I think the crying was a mixture of (a) the grief and pain that our daughter was different and needed these allowances to be made for her, (b) appreciation of the loving care so delicately shown for Victoria by her teacher and (c) continual amazement of the strength of character shown by this little girl who has experienced so much in her 5 years of life.
 
In fact, whilst I was thinking the last thought, I said to myself, if Victoria can participate in these activities, giving it her all with a smile, then surely I can stop crying! So with that thought and a hot chocolate drink given to me by a beautiful sympathetic mum, the tears stopped!
 
 
At Hippotherapy on Friday, Alexandra had the opportunity to feed Wedge some carrots too!
 
In fact, Hippotherapy this week provided another moment for reflection. After Victoria's session, a teenage girl arrives in a wheelchair to ride. I didn't  know anything about her circumstance until last week when Victoria was in hospital and I saw a newspaper article about her on the noticeboard. She was a pedestrian involved in an accident with a car about 2.5 years ago.
 
This week she came through the door using a walking frame. Tears again came to my eyes as I could only begin to imagine what it had taken for this girl (and her family, friends and health workers) to achieve this. The resilience and determination of these young people is indeed amazing.
 
On a slightly different note, but continuing with the "teary theme", Friday this week was our 15th Wedding Anniversary. We had the opportunity to celebrate by going out for dinner and see a movie. Just to finish off the week with more tears, we chose the movie 'Song for Marion'. I cried through the entire movie, but there was one scene, with one word, that in particular that has stuck with me. The word was 'Enjoy'.
 
These things I have seen and thought about this week have made me more determined to just 'Enjoy' each moment. What a precious gift it is to be able to 'Enjoy'.
 
"Why, you do not even know what will happen tomorrow. What is your life? You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes. Instead, you ought to say, "If it is the Lord's will, we will live and do this or that." James 4:14,15 (NIV)
 
 
 


No comments: