Friday, October 18, 2013

18th October 2013


Two weeks has passed since Victoria finished chemo. Despite having her temperature climb the day after she finished treatment, thankfully peaking just below the trigger point, Victoria continues to do well. Thank  you for continuing to lift her up in prayer.

The night after treatment finished we had a celebration dinner at home. Based on what I had read in the Growing Great Boys book by Ian Grant, I had 3 questions that I wanted to answer as a family. 

#1. Everyone in the family to share something regarding how well Victoria has met the challenge of 15 months of weekly treatments. 

#2. Victoria to share how each person in the family had helped her during treatment.

#3 Everyone in the family to share something positive that had come from Victoria being unwell.

Needless to say the discussion that came from these questions was very insightful.

Because treatment was stopped earlier than anticipated, Victoria was thrilled to be able to spend the whole day at school with her friends for her birthday. We started the day with breakfast at McDonalds.




These past 2 weeks have been like living in a dream, with no hospital visits for treatment and fewer concerns about illness. Victoria has been able to enjoy 2 weeks uninterrupted at school. At home we have been able to do some jobs that really needed doing with the help of my mum and dad visiting from NZ. 

For me, it has also been a very emotional time, with tears coming anytime, anywhere. The supermarket seems to be a favourite place for them to turn up. The psychologist tells me it is very normal after holding everything together for such a long time, and that I should just let them come out and make sure I get some rest. 

There are a few reasons for the tears. Firstly I get very overwhelmed when I think of the huge number of people who have helped us in so many different ways since January 2011. The kindness and grace people have shown our family is a testimony to God's goodness. Secondly I grieve for Victoria, whilst she has been amazing throughout this time, her childhood is not as it should have been. 

Thirdly, in faith we know Victoria's future is good, however as a mum walking through this daily it is tough. The latest lot of vitamins I am taking are called 'Mums Rescue', how appropriate! I am struggling with the thought of going to the hospital next week for Victoria's three monthly MRI. Thankfully once again God has provided support with my mum being here and friends to come up and help us through that long day.

Thank you again for your faithfulness and prayers. Our main prayer points currently are:
1. Victoria will remain well to have the general anesthetic next Tuesday for the MRI.
2. I will have the emotional strength to do the MRI day well for Victoria's sake.
3. The results of the MRI will be positive.

This morning I gained such encouragement from Deuteronomy 7v9, Know, recognize  and understand therefore that the Lord your God, He is God, the faithful God, Who keeps covenant and steadfast love and mercy with those who love Him and keep His commandments to a thousand generations.  I know that the joy of the Lord will be my strength today (Nehemiah 8v10b).


No comments: